Getting to Mexico
These are general guidelines, please double-check with your local Mexican consulate if there are different requirements for you.
Check if you need a VISA
The immigration authority may verify the reason for the trip, using any of the following documents:
- Hotel reservation and return tickets (itinerary).
- Invitation letter of the organization or institution inviting the foreigner to participate in any unpaid activity.
How to get a VISA
Before you travel, you will need to apply for a Mexican VISA providing the following documentation:
- The visa application form must be legible and the signature must be the same as the passport.
- A valid passport under international law, e.g. Valid for six months beyond your intended return date.
- A photograph with a white background, with the face visible and without glasses, in color. The photograph dimensions should be 32 millimeters x 26 millimeters or 39 millimeters x 31 millimeters.
- Original and copy of the document proving your legal stay in the country you are requesting the VISA from.
- Proof of solvency or rooting.
- Original and copy of proof of investments or bank accounts balances of the last three months with an average monthly balance equivalent to 1,400 euros, or, original and copy of the documents proving that you have employment or pension with monthly income free of liens equivalent to 500 euros.
- Original and copy of proof of stable employment with a minimum age of two years, original and copy of public deed of real estate duly registered in the name of the applicant with a minimum age of two years and document proving ownership or participation in business issued by the competent authorities with a minimum age of two years.
Asking for a GUADEC Invitation Letter
You should follow this process: Instructions for Requesting an Invitation Letter on the GNOME wiki.
Asking for the Accommodation Document
You should ask your host/hotel/residence to send you a confirmation of your reservation.
Once you gathered all the documentation, print the requirements and go to the MEXITEL website to schedule an appointment.
- https://embamex.sre.gob.mx/australia/images/pdf/solicitudvisaingles.pdf (English version)
- https://embamex.sre.gob.mx/italia/images/pdf/consulado/sol-visa-2018.pdf (Spanish version)